Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My thoughts have turned again to the standard of English in the office. I decided to consult the author and good friend Lynne Truss over lunch. Normally I take her to the Fat Duck in Bray, but after their recent “difficulties” I have decided to give it a miss for a while, and we went instead to a rather nice place here in Worcester.

As it happens lunch was a little rushed, on account of Miss Truss finding seventeen errors in the menu before we had even ordered wine. She was, however, very sympathetic to my cause.

“But darling, you absolutely must take matters in hand” she insisted, pulling apart her lobster. “Noblesse oblige, and all that”.

She’s right, of course.

She gave me a few ideas and I promised to let her know how it all goes (actually, I suspect she is after material for her next book).

No comments: